Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cake or Death?

Why not both? Death by chocolate anyway. It was my friend Brandon's birthday the other day and I decided to make him a cake.  I never asked him a flavor or anything, he just mentioned the word "grave" and I already had an idea. So it's a chocolate cake with dark chocolate peanut butter & strawberry filling, with buttercream frosting and a dark chocolate ganache. Mwahahahahahaha

The cake itself is the chocolate cake found HERE

I wasn't sure what to do for a filling, I took some strawberry jam and reduced it down with some balsamic but it still wasn't what I wanted. Out of the randomness of my brain (and the randomness of my cabinets) I added some Dark Chocolate Peanut butter Spread and folded in some of the butter cream frosting.

The buttercream frosting is just a transitional one:
2 cups confectioners' sugar (Some people use 3)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (At room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons whipping cream

Whisk together butter and sugar until well blended. Add in the vanilla and heavy cream and mix for a few more minutes, add more heavy cream depending on desired consistency.

Then I added a dark chocolate ganache. I headed 1/2 heavy cream and 2 tablespoons butter together in a saucepan. I poured it over 6oz dark chocolate chips and mixed until combined then poured it over the cake. You can mess around with your amounts, I just wanted a thicker ganache.


The end result? (with chocolate decorations I used molds to make)


That's all, just a quick post.

It also reminds me of this:

1 comment: