Monday, January 23, 2012

Eat your heart out

I've been trying to think of something to do for Valentine's Day and red velvet came to mind. I love red velvet. I also love making cookies.
When it comes to baking rarely do I create my own recipes, though I often change them a lot, this one (well the cookie itself) came from Cake Artisan HERE.
However the icing is mine.
I don't like using typical food color (unfortunately there is gel food coloring in the cookies themselves but I wanted to play around with the icing. So I used fresh cherry juice:

I mixed this into my icing and  it turned a fun light pink.
Icing:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon honey (or corn syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pat butter (at room temp)
Cherry juice.

Mix it together in a medium sized bowl until you reach the consistency you want, feel free to play around with the amounts.

I really wish I had a good quality camera because the icing turned out sort of pearlescent and pretty but it isn't captured here:
 (The dark spots are bits of cherry)

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same with recipes, I like to tweak them a bit. Your tweaks seem perfect. They look awesome! Not only pretty, but yummy, as well. What more can we ask for? Nada. Thanks, Morphine!

    ReplyDelete