Thursday, March 15, 2012

Make your own laundry detergent

For a long while now I have wanted to make my own laundry detergent but never got around to it. Finally I have. Recently I watched a video on how to make it and decided to just gather the supplies and do it.

  Check out more from her at:

Here are the written directions and some of my photos:

Supplies:
- 5 gallon bucket with lid
- long paint stick (You'll need it to stir or something sturdy)
- bar soap (5.5 oz) that is not perfumed, My soap came from Sappo Hill
 (You should be able to find soaps that contain only: “Saponified Oils of Palm and Coconut; Glycerine”)
-1/2 cup of Borax
-1 cup Washing Soda (not Baking Soda but by Arm & Hammer – buy it in the laundry aisle)

Note: It says "Not perfumed" but that wasn't an option at my store so I got aloe vera. I'm not concerned because Sappo hill uses all natural ingredients and colored with mineral pigments.

Directions:
1. Cut bar of soap into small pieces or grate. I strongly recommend grating because it will melt faster.

 2. Cook soap pieces in 4 cups of hot water over medium heat; stirring frequently until fully dissolved.

 3. Fill bucket half full with hot tap water
4. Add the dissolved soap/water from cook-top.
5. Pour in the Borax (left) and Washing Soda (right) and stir until dissolved


6. Fill bucket with additional hot tap water (to the 5 gallon mark) and stir.
7. Place lid on bucket and let sit overnight to gel.
8. The next day, stir and pour solution into smaller containers.



Note: This solution is a concentrate, so be sure to add it to your machine water before adding clothes.
Also, this soap will not form suds: don’t worry, it’s not the suds that do the cleaning; it’s the components of the soap. Give the jug a quick swish before each use, but vigorous shaking is not necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment