Also know as...
Chocolate Doughnut Cupcakes w/ Salted Caramel Filling & Chocolate Ganache
(I know, I'm down right evil....you love it)
(Based on THIS one with some changes)
1 1/2 cups AP Flour (or cake flour)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (room temp)
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2-3/4 cup fresh brewed coffee of choice (optional)
1/2 cup chopped chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
(So...I cheated. I had to come up with a new filling because my original idea didn't work out.
I didn't have time to make caramel from scratch but luckily we had those wrapped caramel squares..
so I improvised.)
1 bag caramels
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
2-3 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter (room temp)
Preheat oven to 425° and prepare a cupcake pan.
Brew your coffee (if using, I suggest you do).
Once coffee is brewed pour 1/2-3/4 cup into a mug then add the butter and chopped chocolate to it, stir until incorporated and set aside (this also melts your butter for you!)
Make the batter:
1. In a large bowl mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Mix in buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.
3. Once cooled add in the butter, coffee and chocolate mixture.
(don't overmix..or eat the batter..that second one is really difficult)
4. Fill cupcake liners about half way (they puff up!).
5. Bake for 7-10 minutes (10 minutes in my oven was perfect).
6. Cool completely before moving onto the other steps.
Like I said..I cheated. I will eventually update this with a real recipe.
1. Unwrap the caramels.
2. Place in a pan with the liquid aminos/soy sauce and heavy cream.
3. Melt together over low to low-medium heat and stir often.
4. Take off the heat and move onto the next steps.
Prepare the cupcakes:
1. Make a well for the filling. I used my handy-dandy apple corer to make a well in the middle, you can also use a melon baller...or whatever else as long as it works for you. Save what you take out!
2. Fill them. I filled them once the caramel was fairly cool then I placed each on in the fridge after filling (because it will soak into the cupcake, the warmer the cake/caramel the more it will absorb)
Make the ganache:
1. Place the chocolate and heavy cream in a pan.
2. Heat over low-medium heat while stirring constantly.
3. When it almost comes together add in the butter and stir until it's all incorporated.
4. Allow to cool slightly before topping the cupcakes.
5. Top the cupcakes and place them back in the fridge for the ganache to set up.
I added none but you could add sprinkles, nuts, anything!
Another way to top them is to put a layer of caramel on top and then the ganache.