Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Mini Vanilla Cheesecake w/ Easy Salted Caramel Sauce
I wanted to make my mom a mini cheesecake with what we had on hand, this was the result.
I know the caramel sauce isn't really one but I had an open can of sweetened condensed I wanted to use.
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup crushed graham cracker
1 8oz package creamcheese, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons sourcream
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 vanilla bean, scraped (Optional)
(I get mine in bulk from Mountain Rose Herbs)
Easy salted caramel:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Soy sauce (To taste)
Preheat oven to 375
(Line a small 5 inch pan with foil if you don't have a spring form that small)
1. Melt the butter and combine it with the crushed graham cracker.
2. Press mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 5 minutes.
3. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
1. In a small bowl mix the sour cream, milk, lemon, vanilla extract and vanilla bean.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat creamcheese and sugar until smooth.
3. Add in the sourcream mixture and beat to combine.
4. Add eggs and beat untiil just combined.
5. Pour mixture into cooled crust lined pan.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes (Until the filling is just set)*
7. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes then transfer to the fridge for four hours.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
1. Combine the sweetened condensed milk and soy sauce into the top of double boiler; place over boiling water.
Over low heat, simmer 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thick and caramel-colored, stirring occasionally.
*To test the doneness of your cheesecake, gently shake pan.
The center should appear nearly set and slightly jiggle, it will firm up when cooled.
Serve with sauce or topping of choice, enjoy.