Saturday, August 11, 2012

Homemade Spice "Drops"

Recently I've been wanting to try and make more candy and I thought "Hey, why not spice drops?". Well like most times when I make candy, the first attempt is usually a "learning experience" haha. These look great but I needed to add more flavoring, they ended up tasting kinda like gelatin still. But they look pretty!

Ingredients: 
4 Tbsp gelatin (that’s about 6 envelopes)
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups boiling water
4 cups sugar
Orange Extract
Pumpkin Spice Extract (Candy oil)
Food coloring (I used four colors)
extra sugar for coating

Directions:
1. In a large pot, soften gelatin in cold water for five minutes. Stir in boiling water until gelatin dissolves.
2. Stir in sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 25 minutes. Stir constantly.


3. Pour mixture into 4 – 3X5 pans. (I used smaller pans so I could do other colors)


4. Add extracts and food color to each pan. Stir until thoroughly combined.
5. Cover pan and chill overnight in the fridge.
6. Cut gelatin mixture into 3/4 inch cubes using a knife dipped in hot water.
7. Separate cubes and roll in sugar until coated on all sides.
8. Place on wax paper and leave at room temperature for two days to crystallize.


1 comment: