Saturday, March 12, 2011

No cheating THIS time

Well yesterday I got bored, realized I had a bunch of apples and thought "Hmm, apple pie". So I went ahead an made apple pie. But this time I didn't want to cut any corners. Usually I buy the premade refrigerated pie crust, simply because it's easier and less time consuming. Then I realized that I have ingredients to make my own pie crust and that I don't have any place to be, no time wasted.

I also realized that the brand new food processor blade really is as sharp as advertised, hey, good product.

Now this pie didn't come out as shiny or pretty as one's I've made before, so I still need to figure out other crust recipes, but for now this works out just fine.


I definitely didn't skimp on the apples

And now, recipes. I mean why not, you might want to try this.

For the Crust:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
6 to 8 Tbsp ice water

Directions:
1. Cut the sticks of butter into 1/2-inch cubes and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes (So the butter becomes thoroughly chilled)
2. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse 6 to 8 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter.
3. Add ice water 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until mixture just begins to clump together. (When you pinch it the dough should stick together, if not add more water and pulse)
4. Remove dough from machine and place in a mound on a clean surface. Knead the dough just enough to form into two discs, do not over-knead. (You should still see bits of butter in the dough)
5. Sprinkle a little flour around the discs and wrap individually in parchment paper/plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Store up to two days in refrigerator.
6. Remove one crust disk from the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Roll out with a rolling pin (I put flour on the rolling pin too) on a lightly floured surface to a circle large enough to cover your pie pan. If necessary, add a few sprinkles of flour under the dough to keep the dough from sticking. Carefully place onto a 9-inch pie plate. Gently press the pie dough down so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Trim edges.

**Note: For savory crust I would add a bit more salt, for sweet I would add more sugar**

Apple Pie Filling:

6  medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 1/2  tablespoons  lemon juice
3/4  cup  brown sugar
1/2  cup  sugar
1/3  cup  all-purpose flour
1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey (optional)

Directions:

1. Toss together apple and lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine brown sugar, sugar, flour, and spices; sprinkle over apple mixture. Drizzle with honey and toss mixture to coat apples. Spoon into prepared piecrust (Read step 6 above)

2.Roll remaining piecrust to cover top of pie, Fold edges under, and crimp. Brush with eggwash*. Cut slits in top for steam to escape.

3. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake 35 minutes. (If crust becomes too dark before its done baking, cover with foil tent).

*Eggwash: One egg mixed with a small amount of water and brushed onto pie crust.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment