Baked Sausage & Cream Cheese Empanadas
4-5 Ounces of cream cheese (at room temperature)
8 ounces sausage (About half of one of the regular jimmy dean ones)
Green onion or chive
Refrigerated pie dough (or homemade if you so choose)
1 egg & 1 tablespoon water mixed together.
1. Brown sausage in a pan until crumbly over medium high heat. Drain if you feel necessary.
2. Reduce the heat and add green onion/chives and spices to taste preference, cook for 30 seconds to a minute.
3. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool (about 10-15 minutes)
4. While the mixtures cools, preheat the oven to 425°F (or 400 if your oven runs hot) and take the premade dough out of the fridge and sit on the counter to come to room temp. (if you try and unroll it while its cold it will stick together and be a mess).
5. Once dough is ready unroll it and cut rounds out using a large glass or a cookie cutter.
6. Spoon filling onto rounds (1/2 to 1 teaspoon, don’t overfill) and seal (to seal brush edges with egg wash and press together, then crimp with a fork).
7. Brush eggwash over the empanadas and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Cool and serve.
-When I unroll the dough I also use a rolling pin and go over it to make it slightly thinner and more uniform.
-I make the filling the night before so it’s an easy breakfast for the morning or a fun brunch.